Carers' assessments

As a carer, you have a right to have your needs considered. A carer’s assessment is:

  • To work out what can be done to make life easier for the carer
  • To consider whether your caring role impacts on your physical, emotional, and mental health, your work and social life
  • An opportunity for the carer to talk about what support or services they need.

A carer’s assessment is provided free of charge by the council and it is available for any adult who provides care for another adult (over 18 years) who is disabled, ill or elderly, regardless of the amount or type of care that is provided.

If you and the person you care for agree, a combined assessment of both your needs can be undertaken at the same time.

How do I request a carer's assessment?

Carers’assessments in Camden are provided by Camden Adult Social Care or Camden Carers Service. You can request to receive an assessment from either organisation. 

Contact them on:

Camden Carers Service - 020 7428 8950

Camden Adult Social Care Access and Response Team - 020 7974 4000 (Option 1)

Preparing for an assessment

The Adult Social Care Access and Response Team and Camden Carers Centre can provide information to help you prepare for an assessment.  Also, Carers UK provide a downloadable factsheet containing a useful list of questions on pages 26 to 27 to help you discuss what support might be useful.  Questions are around the type of help you provide, and how much time you spend providing care, your health, your feelings, your work/study and social activities, and your home.

Am I eligible for Adult Social Care support?

Following the assessment, to be eligible to receive support from Adult Social Care, the carer will need to have met the national criteria, and have what the law calls ‘eligible needs’.

Broadly speaking, the eligibility criteria is met if there is (or is likely to be) a significant impact on the carer’s wellbeing as a result of their caring role.  There are three questions that Adult Social Care will need to consider when making their decision:

  1. Are your needs the result of you providing necessary care?
  2. Does your caring role have an effect on you?
  3. Is there, or is there likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing?

If the answer to all three questions is yes, then you have eligible needs.  For an explanation of these questions, visit the Carers UK website.

What type of support might I receive after my assessment?

Depending on whether you meet the eligibility criteria, the type of support you may receive are:

  • Information and advice about what could be done to prevent or reduce your needs either now or in the future, or
  • A care and support plan developed to help you with your specific needs, such as providing services to you or the person you care for.
  • Ongoing support for carers is available such as breaks and activities, emotional support, and health and lifestyle events for carers to find out about other services available.


More information

You can contact Camden Carers Service on 020 7428 8950 or visit their website,


Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good