Who is a young carer?
You are a young carer if you are a child or young adult under 18 who spends time looking after or helping a member of your family, or close friend. The support you provide could be helping with everyday tasks that your family member or close friend can no longer manage because of illness or disability. You may be providing regular and ongoing care and emotional support to your family member or close friend who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances such as drugs or alcohol.
Help and support for young carers
Family Action Islington and Camden Young Carers Service can provide support for young carers by:
- offering information and advice
- working with the whole family to look at ways of supporting the young carer and the person who needs care
- carrying out home visits and an assessment using the common assessment framework (CAF)
- provide help with any problems at school.
Contact Family Action Camden and Islington Young Carers Service
Email: [email protected]
What rights do young carers have?
Children aged under 18 who are providing care have rights to be assessed for care and support.
The Children and Families Act gives carers under the age of 18 the right to an assessment on the appearance of need. They do not have to request one.
The Care Act 2014 gives young carers the right to an assessment as they approach 18 years of age. This is called a Young Carers Needs Assessment.
What is the assessment process for a young carer?
The assessment itself must look at whether or not the young carer wishes to continue caring, and whether it is appropriate for them to continue caring. When doing this they have to take into account any education, training, work or recreational activities the young carer wishes to participate in
Where a young carer’s eligible needs are identified as requiring support, Camden Council will:
- provide support directly to the young carer, or
- demonstrate that the ‘cared for' person’s assessment has provided adequate care and support to prevent inappropriate care being required from the young carer.
Camden Carers Service also provide support and assistance to young adult carers aged 18 to 25.