Support from your GP
All GP practices now have a Carers Register, which means that they have a record of your role in caring for another person. The benefits of registering as a carer with your GP include:
- Provision of free annual health checks, flu vaccinations, and repeat prescriptions from your local pharmacy
- Access to a carer assessment and benefits checks, including Attendance Allowance and the blue badge scheme
- Involvement in the care planning of the person you support
- Conversations about your mental health and the impact of your caring role
- Possibility to arrange ‘double’ appointments at convenient times for both you and the person you care for to avoid having to visit the surgery twice
To be added to your GP’s Carers Register you can usually request a form from your own practice reception.
Alternatively, Carers UK have created a template letter, which you can download from their website, complete, and send to your GP. Your GP will then be able to update your patient record and help you to start getting the support you need.