Skip to main content
Text size:

Support that works for you

We all need different types of support in our lives, and the same is true when you care for another person. A good way to find support that works for you is to talk to someone from Adult Social Care who can explore with you what you, and the person you care for, might need to keep you both safe and healthy. Find out more about how Carer Conversations work and how to arrange one.

Taking a break

We all need to take breaks from our ‘to do’ lists and have time doing things we love and that refill our internal energy tanks. Caring for someone else can be rewarding, but it can also take a lot of physical and emotional energy. A break may be as little as an hour in your day to yourself, but it could be longer. Many people find that knowing the person they care for is safe and supported by someone else helps them to take a break.

There are different options about who can provide this support. Many carers find that a friend or family member may be able to provide care or support so that they can take a break. If that’s not an option for you there are some ways that Adult Social Care can help:

Support at home - This could be services such as a ‘sitting service’ where a Care Worker comes to keep the person you care for company at home. The arrangement could be for a set period of time/ number of weeks that would involve a Care Worker supporting the person you care for with the tasks you usually support them with, to enable you to go on a short holiday, or visit friends and family.

Support near the person's home - The person you care for may be able to attend activity groups or clubs during the day and sometimes in the evening. This means spending time with other people, engaged in things that interest them and can often help to improve their own sense of wellbeing as well as providing time for you to take a break.

Residential or nursing care - For longer periods that cover both day and night, it may be possible for the person you care for to stay in a residential or nursing home. This gives you a complete break from caring. 

There may be a cost associated with some services through Camden Adult Social Care. We will give you this information before confirming any arrangement, but please ask about any charges during your Carer Conversation.

Contingency and emergency planning and support in hospital

Contingency planning

If you look after someone it can be helpful to make a contingency plan so that if an emergency happens, there are arrangements in place for their care. Mobilise are supporting carers in Camden to create their own emergency plan with a simple template you can download and the opportunity to talk things through with a Carers Coach. Find out about setting up a carer's emergency plan.

As part of your Carers Conversation you are also entitled to talk about and make a contingency plan for care provided in the event of an emergency.

The Herbert Protocol - Emergency support from Met police

The Herbert Protocol is a national scheme being introduced by the Met police and other agencies which encourages carers to compile useful information which could be used in the event of a person going missing. If you care for someone who is experiencing dementia, memory loss, or disorientation, you may be worried about them getting lost outside their home. By completing a form with key information about the person, this will help the police to locate them more quickly. For more information about the Herbert Protocol and how to provide emergency information, you can find all the details on the Met Police website.

Support in Hospital

Many of the hospitals in Camden have dedicated support for carers, whether that’s a member of healthcare staff who can explain hospital processes, or to be a listening ear. Visit your hospital website or speak to your GP about carer support services.

If you or someone you care for is in hospital and due to be discharged, health and social care services may be able to provide support while you are recovering in your home.  Further details are available in Hospital discharge.

Speak to someone in Adult Social Care about breaks or to arrange a Carer Conversation 

Phone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)

Email: [email protected]

Speak to someone at Camden Carers about support that works for you

Phone: 020 7428 8950

Email: [email protected] 


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good