Financial support available

To work out how much you have to pay towards your care and support, a financial assessment is carried out. This looks at your income, benefits, savings and some types of expenditure you have to work out how much you should pay.  Following a care assessment a member of staff from Camden Council's Access and Response Team will arrange an appointment to visit you at home (or somewhere else convenient for you) to carry out a financial assessment if you wish.

He or she will talk to you about your finances and work out what you will have to pay towards the cost of your care and support. It will also be an opportunity to make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.  If you wish to have a friend or relative present, please feel free to do so.


The value of any property you own, or which you have a share in, will be treated as a capital asset.  How it will be treated will depend on the type of care you are receiving.

Respite (short term) care - If you own the property where you are living, the value will not be counted for any temporary stays in a care home.  Other property or land which you own or have a share in will be counted as capital.

Permanent (long term) care - If you own or have a share in the property where you are living and have no other capital over the current capital limit, the value of your home will be counted as a capital asset.  The council may agree to help with some funding for up to 12 weeks - this is called a 12-week property disregard.  If you have been making your own arrangements, you have a property and your savings are nearing the upper limit, you will need to contact the council to ask for help with ongoing payments. This can be done by calling the Access and Response Team on 020 7974 4000 (select Option 1).

Property Disregard

If you no longer occupy your property the council will disregard the value of your home if it is occupied by the following people - your partner; a relative who is aged over 60 or is incapacitated; a child under 18 whom you are responsible, providing the property has been continuously occupied by any of these people before you went into a care home.

A property may also be disregarded to safeguard people for example when a relative moves into the property after you enter a care home.  Where this happens the council will need to consider the timing and purpose of the move in deciding whether the property can be disregarded.  The purpose of this disregard is to safeguard people from the risk of homelessness.

Other property or land owned or part-owned by you will be counted as capital from the date you enter a care home.

The council may use its discretion to disregard the value of your home if it is the sole home of someone who has given up their own home in order to care for you before you moved into a care home.

If your care assessment shows that you need help urgently, then this will be in place before your financial assessment is completed.

Financial Assessment

The following details will be required to complete your financial assessment: 

  • Your income - such as pensions, benefits, annuities and trusts
  • Your capital - such as bank or building society accounts, ISAs, premium bonds, shares, cash, and any other investments like property or land you own
  • Housing costs - such as rent, council tax and buildings insurance
  • Any extra  expenses because of your illness or disability


If you have savings and capital of less than £14,250 the council may help pay towards your care and support costs, the amount of help you may get will depend on how much income you have.

If you have savings and capital between £14,250 and £23,250, the council may help pay towards your care and support costs, the amount of help you may get will depend on how much income you have. When the council works out how much income you have it will add £1 to your weekly income for every £250, or part of £250 you have in savings and capital over £14,250 up to £23,250.

If you do have capital, some of its value may be ignored when working out how much income you get from it.

If you have savings and capital that are more than the limit of £23,250 you will not receive any financial support towards your social care costs from the council and you will normally be expected to pay for your own care in full. If you are paying for the full cost of the services you receive to live independently at home or in a care home, you are known as a self-funder.

How much you pay towards your care costs depends on whether you are getting care and support in a care home or your own home.

If you do not wish to tell us about your finances you will be treated as if you have over the amount set by the government and will be charged the full charge for the service.

If you think the assessed charge is too much, you can ask for a review. You can ask at the time of your assessment or when you get the letter telling you about your charges.

When the council reviews the financial assessment they will check that the assessment has been done fairly and correctly. You will get a letter telling you the result of the review.

If you still believe you are paying too much, you can appeal against the decision. You can ask the officer that carried out your financial assessment about how to do this or you can contact the Welfare and Financial Assessment Team using the contact details below and ask for an appeal form.

You can ask for a review of your financial assessment at any time if you feel your circumstances have changed or you cannot afford to pay the charge. The council will also review your charges when state benefits change, usually in April each year.

To arrange a financial assessment or review, please contact the Adult Social Care Access and Response Team by calling 020 7974 4000 (Option 1).

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good