Skip to main content
Text size:

Hospital discharge

Easy read information about leaving hospital Easy read government guidance on what you need to know about leaving hospital

Due to COVID-19, Adult Social Care services have had to work in new ways as a result of the pressures on health and social care. Hospital discharge processes are operating differently during this period which is set out in the following government guidance on hospital discharge service guidance.

People will be discharged from hospital as soon as it is clinically safe to do so. If you require any support after you have been discharged, your support needs will be met within the community. This could be further health services, or social care services delivered in your own home, or support from the voluntary and community sector. It may also be necessary to discharge you to another setting which is not your home. Any mental health services you may need will also be involved with your discharge.

Any of these services provided could be a temporary or a longer term measure, depending on your needs. These options will always be discussed with you.  You will be assessed before you are discharged in order to understand the level of support you may need to help you to regain your independence or to continue living as independently as possible.

If you have needs, which don’t need to be met by health or social care, you could be referred to the care navigation and social prescribing service. This service is coordinated by Age UK Camden and Voluntary Action Camden. It is open to any adult regardless of age. You can self-refer, or your health or social care practitioner can refer you to this service. It could help you with things such as: shopping, medication pick-ups, befriending services and information and advice. You can refer to this service at the following email address which is monitored from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm:

To find out more about the care navigation and social prescribing service go to the Practical support section.

If you have health and social care needs which are likely to be temporary whilst you are getting better, you may be offered reablement support. This service is arranged by Camden Adult Social Care, and can take place in your home, another setting where you are currently living or in one of our Henderson Court reablement flats. If your needs have changed in such a way that you are currently unable to complete some day-to-day tasks independently, then reablement can offer short term intensive support to help you to regain some or all of your independence. These day-to-day tasks could be around your personal care, assisting with preparing and cooking meals, enabling you to carry out household chores, and relearning tasks.

Even if you are medically fit to leave hospital you may not be able to return home yet. You may need rehabilitation before going home or before moving to another place. Rehabilitation is given to people whose physical abilities have decreased through illness, and is arranged by the NHS. You will be helped to regain life skills, return to independent living or supported to manage your condition or disability with a positive but realistic outlook. This differs from reablement support. In Camden, rehabilitation is provided at St Pancras Hospital.

If you have greater needs it may not be possible to return home and another option could be considered. There are a number of supported housing options which could support you to live independently in accommodation which may better suit your ongoing needs. This includes sheltered housing and extra care sheltered accommodation. Go to the Supported housing section to find out more. However, if your needs cannot be met in these settings, then other options include moving to a residential or a nursing care home.

If you are being discharged to a place that is not your home you may need to take a COVD-19 test.

You may be required to pay towards some of the care options detailed above. Go to the Paying for care page to find out more.

Your benefits may also be affected by a stay in hospital. Go to the money advice page to find out more.

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good