Skip to main content
Text size:

Paying for care

Will I have to pay to receive care?As mentioned above, if you have a support plan for ongoing care and support, there may be a charge for the care.  Whether you are required to pay towards the cost of the care is based on your financial circumstances and we will ask you to complete a financial assessment to work out if you will be required to make a contribution.  Many people are required to make a contribution towards the cost of their care, while some may have to pay for the full cost.

We will give you as much choice and control as possible over how your personal budget is spent. This means we will give you as much choice and control as possible over how to spend your personal budget on services to meet your needs. 

Paying for support during COVID-19

As mentioned above, social care services provided by Camden are not normally free. Many people are required to make a financial contribution towards the cost of their care, while others with capital and savings of £23,250 or more will pay the full cost.

Due to an increased need for new social care services during this emergency, certain care services are being provided free of charge for a temporary period starting from 19 March 2020. This covers a few specific circumstances, such as:

  • if you have been discharged from hospital since the 19th March 2020 and care services have been arranged either to support you at home or in a care home
  • extra support being provided due to a breakdown of your normal care arrangements.

We will inform you about this when your care services is provided and confirm in writing of these arrangements if they apply to you.

What happens next?

We do not know how long these arrangements will apply but we want to assure you that if we need to make any changes we will contact you in advance to let you know. At this time we expect that after the emergency, if you need longer term social care services, we will complete our standard financial assessment with you and discuss what you will need to contribute.

Contact Adult Social Care Awards and Contributions Team for further information about paying for care or to check if these changes affect you

Telephone: 020 7974 1607


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good