Skip to main content
Text size:

Supported living

easy read icon  Easy Read information on supported living is available here

Supported living is accommodation-based support that enables adults with learning and physical disabilities and mental health conditions to be supported to live as independently as possible. 

Examples of people that would be suitable for supported living include:

  • adults with global learning disabilities requiring less than 24 hours care
  • adults with global learning disabilities requiring 24 hours support
  • adults with global learning disabilities and a significant or complex mental health condition
  • adults with global learning disabilities and a diagnosis of an autism spectrum condition
  • adults with profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD), physical disabilities and epilepsy

Accommodation can range from self-contained flats to much larger shared houses with shared, communal spaces. Adults are usually offered a tenancy agreement or a license agreement, with rent covered by Housing Benefits. 

Support is tailored to the individual needs and can support those whose needs require a few hours of support a day, to those with Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD) who require 24 hour support. 

Supported living referrals during COVID-19During COVID-19, because of social distancing guidance, it will be difficult to move people into a supported living placement. However, referrals are still being reviewed on a case by case basis and placements being made where it is a priority and where it can be done safely.

Who is eligible for supported living?

To be considered for supported living, the applicant must be known to Camden learning disabilities service, with a diagnosed learning disability and have housing and support needs.

Making a referral for supported living

If you are an adult with a learning disability and would like to find out more about supported living, please contact your social worker.

All referrals for these placements are made a social worker and come through the Accommodation Planning Group.  The Group meets monthly and is attended by Camden learning disabilities service representatives, commissioning representatives and the support providers.  

The accommodation planning group is not a decision making board, but will provide advice, guidance and endorse recommendations.

Following recommendations, the social worker will be responsible for contacting the supported living scheme to make the referral. The scheme provider will then assess the adult and a placement will be offered if suitable.

Visit the learning disability page for information and resources about support available for people with a learning disability and their carers.

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good