Equipment and technology to help you

There is a wide range of equipment available that can be used in your home to make life easier and help you remain independent. Examples include stair rails, raised toilet seating, equipment to help in the bath or shower, items to help you prepare and eat food and drink, loop systems to support hearing or magnifiers to support reading.

You can buy equipment from local shops and suppliers. There are also voluntary organisations and private providers who sell equipment for disabled people.  Click here to search for equipment from local providers.

You can find out more in the following sections:


Camden Handyperson service

The Camden Handyperson service is available to all residents in Camden who are aged 65 years or over and are vulnerable or have a disability. For this purpose, you are considered to have a disability if you receive Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments or if you have a family member who is a disabled child.

If you do not qualify to receive the Handyperson service you can access the Handy Heroes service, which provides vetted and reliable  handypersons from Origin Housing. 

What service is included?

This service provides affordable minor repairs and 'handyman' type jobs at a very reasonable cost that include:

  • minor plumbing jobs,
  • minor electrical jobs,
  • security works,
  • general garden maintenance,
  • changing light bulbs,
  • draught-proofing,
  • small carpentry jobs,
  • flat-packed furniture assembly.


How much does the Handyperson service, and Handy Heroes service cost?

For whichever service you are qualified to receive, a professional will first visit your home and carry out a home safety assessment to make sure that your home is safe to live in. The assessment usually takes up to 20 minutes and it is totally free.  

Handyperson service costs

The cost of the Handyperson service is £10 per hour for labour costs if you are in receipt of any means-tested benefit such as:

  • Income support
  • Income-based Jobseekers’ Allowance
  • Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit


Be advised that you will be asked to show a recent proof of receipt of a relevant benefit (not older than 12 months) to the handyperson.  Labour costs include VAT.  Any materials needed are charged separately.  There are no extra costs for parking, but please note that if you live within the congestion charge zone then you will be required to pay the congestion charge (currently £11.50).

Handy Heroes service costs 

If you do not qualify to receive the Handyperson service, you will be offered the Handy Heroes service, which charges Camden residents pay £20 per hour. for labour costs.   Labour costs include VAT. Any materials needed are charged separately.  There are no extra costs for parking, but please note that if you live within the congestion charge zone then you will be required to pay the congestion charge (currently £11.50).

REMEMBER: This is not an emergency call out service, and works that are the responsibility of the landlord cannot be carried out by the Handyperson Service.

Contact the Handyperson service or Handy Heroes service

To contact either the Handyperson service or Handy Heroes service, phone 0300 323 0550.  For more information you can download the Camden Handyperson quick service guide.

Minor equipment

Minor equipment such as grab rails, half steps and ramps may be provided free of charge by the Council or your registered social landlord. If you live in private property you can contact Adult Social Care Access and Response Team so that an Occupational Therapy assessment can be carried out in your home.

After the assessment, if you are eligible, the occupational therapist will identify and agree your needs.  Support options will be discussed which may include more complex equipment (e.g. specialised seating to support a person with important daily tasks such as feeding), adaptations to your home (e.g. concrete ramp) and or signposting and advice.  For people living in social housing speak first to your Housing Association as they may be able to do this directly.

Disabled Facilities Grant and complex adaptations

If you or someone you live with is disabled, a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) may help pay for major or complex adaptations. These adaptations can help someone access their home with ease, improve comfort, safety and independence. 

In general there is no charge for adaptations for those who live in council properties and in some housing associations properties. There is also no charge in owner occupied/privately rented properties however your/the landlord must provide consent to the adaptation(s).  If consent is granted you can be provided with assistance to apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant.  You may also be required to complete a financial assessment and asked to contribute towards some of the cost for the adaptations.  

Disabled facilities grants are means tested and therefore if you are eligible, how much you get depends on your household income and household savings.

Before buying any specialist equipment first consider if it is available from the Integrated Community Equipment Service. This can normally be provided free of charge if you have been assessed by an Occupational Therapist as needing the equipment.  

Contact the Adult Social Care Access and Response team

You can refer yourself or someone else can refer you, with your consent, by contacting the Adult Social Care Access and Response team on 020 7974 4000 (option 1) requesting an assessment.  Alternatively, you can email

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good