Skip to main content
Text size:

Equipment to help you live independently at home

Contact the Adult Social Care Access and Response Team to find out about being assessed to receive equipment

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)


We want everyone to live healthy, active and independent lives for as long as possible and to have control of their lives. If you are frail, or have a disability or sensory needs you might benefit from having some equipment at home to help you remain independent.

There is a wide range of minor equipment available that can be used in your home to make life easier and help you remain independent.

Examples include:

  • stair rails
  • grab rails
  • raised toilet seating
  • equipment to help in the bath or shower
  • half steps and ramps.

Minor equipment may be provided free of charge by the Council or your registered social landlord. If you live in private property you can contact Adult Social Care Access and Response Team so that an assessment can be carried out in your home.

After the assessment, if you are eligible, the Occupational Therapist will discuss your identified needs and possible support options with you, which may include:

  • more complex equipment (e.g. specialised seating to support a person with important daily tasks such as feeding)
  • adaptations to your home (e.g. concrete ramp)
  • signposting and advice.

If you live in social housing, speak first to your Housing Association as they may be able to provide equipment directly.


Useful resources

Below are some useful websites where you can find more information about products or equipment to support independent living.

Ask SARA is an online self-help guide providing advice and information on equipment and products to support daily living


Visit the Disabled Living Foundation website for advice and information on equipment for independent living


Manage at Home provides a range of products to support independent daily living at home


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good