Skip to main content
Text size:

Sensory impairment

The Adult Sensory Needs Service is a specialist team that supports people who live in Camden. The service supports people who: 

  • are certified or registered blind (severely sight impaired) or partially sighted (sight impaired)
  • have a non-correctable sight loss in both eyes
  • are Deaf or hard of hearing
  • have both a significant hearing and sight loss

The service starts by looking at how your sensory loss affects your day-to-day life.  This step is called an assessment. If the assessment shows that you have a need that makes you eligible for help, we may be able to provide you with services.

To receive an assessment with the Adult Sensory Needs Service, contact Adult Social Care.

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)

Textphone: 020 7974 6866


Website: Camden Council Sensory Needs Service

Support for Deaf and Hard of Hearing residents

Crisis Text Service

SignHealth, the Deaf Health Charity provides a confidential text service that is available 24/7 and free for most major networks. 

If you are experiencing a crisis and require immediate support, text DEAF to 85258.  A trained crisis volunteer will respond to your message. 

Visit SignHealth to find out more.

Advice support

Royal Association for Deaf People (RAD) are providing desk-based advice support on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10am to 4pm.  The service is by remote access eg. via webcam, facetime, and text.  Where it is safe to do so and line line with current guidance, welfare visits can be made to older and vulnerable residents. 

If you’re feeling anxious, worried or want to talk to someone in BSL, RAD provide a Wellbeing Live Chat on Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm, and  Saturday and Sunday, 2pm to 6pm. 

Visit the RAD website at or email Nicole Campbell at

Transport optionsTaxicard scheme

To support Taxicard members during the pandemic, Taxicard drivers are able to pick up and deliver essential supplies for you.  Also, friends and family are permitted to travel on your behalf using your Taxicard for the same purpose.

Find out more about Taxicard and how to apply for it

Telephone: 020 7763 5001


Blue Badge

If you are registered blind, you qualify automatically for a Blue Badge. Having a Blue Badge enables you to park your car closer to shops and other places you wish to visit.

Find out more about the Blue Badge scheme and how to apply for one



Contact NHS 111 using BSLIf you use BSL and need to contact NHS 111,  use NHS 111 BSL.  The service is open all day, every day.

NHS 111 BSL Service


Access to UK Health Services using BSL

BSL Health Access is a new, on-demand video remoting interpreting service for any public health care requirement in England, Wales and Scotland where access to BSL interpretation is not available.

The service facilitates communication in health related situations such as GPs, dentists, pharmacies, opticians, NHS hospitals and any health-care related appointments.  It is available, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and it is free.

Further information about BSL Health Access is available from their website.


Coronavirus updates in BSL

Sight Advice FAQ is a resource provided by organisations including RNIB, Guide Dogs, and Visionary.  They provide information and advice about living with sight loss and other sight conditions.

Visit Sight Advice FAQ for coronavirus information


SignHealth, the deaf health charity, provide daily coronavirus updates in BSL.

Find out more about SignHealth


RNIB’s free subscription to a newspaper

RNIB is helping people with sight loss keep up to date during the coronavirus pandemic by offering a free subscription to a newspaper or broadcast guide via its Newsagent service.

Find out more about RNIB’s Newsagent service and sign up to the service

Telephone: 0303 123 9999

Email: 0303 123 9999


Community equipment for Camden residents with sensory impairments

Adult Social Care in Camden provides equipment to sensory impaired, disabled adults and children to enable them to maintain their independence in the community. 

Contact the Access and Response Team for information about equipment to support your independence

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (Option 1)

Textphone (minicom): 020 7974 6866


RNIB Helpline provides information and support to blind and partially sighted people, and it is available anywhere in the UK

Helpline: 0303 123 9999 

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good