Skip to main content
Text size:

Coping with loss

We all grieve in different ways and talking to someone, whether they are a friend, family member or a counsellor, can help.  Often, talking to someone who doesn't share the grief you feel can be easier, especially if they have had similar experiences.  Your local faith group, or church may provide someone to listen.  Also, the Samaritans can provide support.  But if you are feeling ill, or if the sadness continues and you are finding it very hard to cope with, then visit your GP.

Services you can contact to help deal with loss

Camden City Islington and Westminster Bereavement Service (CCIWBS)

CCIWBS provide free confidential bereavement counselling by trained volunteer counsellors.  You must be over 18 and registered with a GP in the boroughs of Camden or Islington.

Telephone: 020 7284 0090


Independent Age

Independent Age provide free counselling, information and advice on coping with grief.

Freephone helpline: 0800 319 6789

Grief chat:  bereavement counsellors are available 9am - 9pm Monday to Friday


Downloadable booklet: Coping with bereavement

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse offers telephone, email and website support.  There is also a youth website for young people coping with grief. Cruse also offers a training webinar to help people understand how best to support and talk to others who may have had a bereavement, free to everyone in Camden and Islington. Public Health training - Camden Council

Freephone national helpline: 0808 808 1677

Email: [email protected]


Youth and young people website:

Support from the NHS

The NHS website provides some useful information on grief after bereavement. 


You may wish to access psychological therapy support to help cope with a loss




Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good