I provide care to someone

I provide care to someone. What should I do if they or I become ill or have to self-isolate?

If you provide care for a person it is understandable that it is very difficult to distance yourself from them altogether.

If you or the person you care for has underlying health care problems which become worse during or after the isolation period you should seek medical advice by either contacting your GP or calling 111.

Aprons, gloves and fluid repellent surgical masks should be used in appropriate situations including where a person is symptomatic. If there is a risk of splashing, then eye protection will minimise risk.

You could see if there are neighbours friends or family that may be able to help with shopping and collecting medication and delivering these supplies, ensuring that they are left at the door. Consider online shopping where it is appropriate to do so.

Carers UK have published guidance for carers worried about their situation. This includes advice on creating a contingency plan and tailored guidance on ‘Coming out of hospital’. If either of you become ill, please follow Public Health England advice.

If you do not live with the person you care for, you can keep regular contact over the phone, via email or using video call with FaceTime, Skype etc.

Camden Carers Centre is moving office and they will be closed for two weeks until Monday 30 March at 9am. Activities and appointments will be on hold during this time. Please refer to their website for further updates.

Mobilise is a group of carers coming together for an online #cuppa - a chance to share concerns, practical tips and community support. This is completely free, and easily accessible with basic technology. The next online cuppa is on Wednesday 18 March at 4pm. You can sign up here: https://www.mobiliseonline.co.uk/cuppa

A carer has published her own advice on setting up a simple carer emergency plan: Sarah Bourne – setting up a simple carer emergency plan

If you have any urgent concerns about providing care please contact Adult Social Care by email at adultsocialcare@camden.gov.uk, or telephone on 020 7974 4000 (option 1).


Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good