What is care and support?

Care and support, also known as social care services or adult social care, is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with illness, disability or frailty. This can include help while you live at home, go out and about in the community, or move into a new place of residence such as a care home.

To establish what care and support is required to meet your needs, a care assessment is carried out by Camden Council. The assessment will also check if you are eligible to receive financial assistance from the Council.

Even if you think you might not be eligible for social care support, you and the person who supports you are entitled to receive an assessment.

Camden Council will support you to arrange your care where you have been assessed as having eligible needs. Any decisions about your care and support will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and your family, so you can stay healthy and remain independent for longer.

If you do not feel confident or able to make decisions about your care and support, there is help available. Please visit our section on advocacy and making decisions for further information.

Having assessed your needs, if you are eligible to receive care and support, some of the services you receive will be free of charge whilst others will have charges. Where there are charges, what you have to pay will depend on your eligibility and financial circumstances. The Council will work out how much you should pay.

To check your eligibility for care and support services, you can either complete the online self-assessment form or contact the Adult Social Care Access and Response Team on  020 7974 4000 (option 1) to request an assessment.

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good