Paying for my own care (self-funder)

If you are paying the full costs of your care, you are known as a 'self-funder'. However, there is still help and support available to you.

What makes me a self-funder?

  • You may have approached the council and, although your needs show that you are eligible for services, your income and assets are above the financial threshold for financial help from the council.
  • You may have chosen to fund your own care as you do not want to be financially assessed and want to make your own arrangements for support.
  • You may have been assessed but you are not currently eligible for care and support services but want to have services in place.
  • You may have chosen not to approach the council for help but wish to arrange support yourself.


How can you help me as a self-funder?

Search for local support services and receive a care assessment

  • You may find it useful to use Find services to search for local support and services from local organisations.
  • We can work with you to carry out an assessment of your needs, even if you can’t get financial support on a long-term basis. This will help you to decide what kind of care could best meet your needs.
  • If you are assessed as needing care and support services but you are identified as a self-funder, we can provide support to arrange those services if you are not able to do so yourself or if there is no one to help you.


Financial advice to pay for services

  • If you arrange and pay for your own care, it is important that you get independent financial advice so that you can make informed decisions about paying for your care.
  • One of the advantages of getting advice from an independent financial adviser  is that they are able to assess your specific circumstances and can make sure you are claiming all the benefits and allowances you are entitled to.


Find out about Money advice and benefits and the Deferred Payment Scheme

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good