Residential care and nursing homes

Residential and nursing homes are for people over the age of 18 who live in Camden and who are no longer able to remain living independently at home due to physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss, frailty or illness.


In certain circumstances, short term places are also available for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness, or to give the person who cares for them a break from their caring responsibilities.


Moving to a care home

  • If you think a move to a care home might be the best option for you or someone you know then you can contact the home you are interested in directly.
  • It is always a good idea to go and visit the home to see if you would be happy there and to ask any questions you may want answering.


In partnership with Camden, Shaw Healthcare manage two nursing care homes in Camden:


Can I get help?

  • If you are unsure about what to do, an assessment may help to consider your needs and the options available to you.
  • Following the assessment, if we agree that a residential or nursing home is the best place for you to live, we can then recommend which ones would best meet your needs and also tell you whether they have any vacancies.
  • If you are looking for a residential or nursing home in Camden, we can help you to find one in an area near to your own home or close to family and friends.


How much does it cost?

  • The costs of residential and nursing homes vary, often depending on the type of facilities provided and the amount and type of care you need.


Can I get help with the cost?

  • If you want us to arrange a place in a residential and nursing home for you, and you need financial support from us to help pay for it, then we will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.


More Information

  • For more information, you can contact the Adult social care Access and Response Team by calling 020 7974 4000 (option 1).


Care Quality Commission

  • All registered residential care homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission so if you are looking for a home yourself visit their website where you will find general information, star ratings and copies of inspection reports.


Healthwatch Camden

Volunteers from Healthwatch Camden visited the seven care homes for older people in Camden in 2016.  The volunteers talked to residents, relatives and staff.

Reports of these visits provide you with an alternative insight into each home.  You can read the reports below.









  • CarePlace is a free online directory for Camden service users and residents, providing information and advice on a range of services including homecare and residential and nursing care homes.


Find services directory

  • You can search for care homes in the online directory Find services