Skip to main content
Text size:

Latest government guidance for extremely vulnerable people (shielded)

Please read the guidance in this section.  After reading the information, if you still have concerns about your care, please contact Adult Social Care

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)


We understand that for those who have care and support needs, or care for someone who does, this is a worrying and challenging time. As a Council we will do everything we can to support you through this period of uncertainty.

Government advice for extremely vulnerable adults (shielded people)

Specific medical conditions place some people at greatest risk of severe illness from COVID-19. People with these conditions are classified as “clinically extremely vulnerable”.  People who are shielding can now leave their home if they wish as long as they maintain strict social distancing. 

If you or someone you know is at very high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 because of an underlying health condition, please read the government guidance on Shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable from COVID-19.  Following recent changes to this guidance, the Easy Read version and translated versions will be published shortly on the government website.

People in this group should have been contacted to tell them they are clinically extremely vulnerable. If you are still concerned, you should talk to your GP or hospital clinician.

If you have been told that you’re clinically extremely vulnerable you should register online for support even if you do not need support now.

Register with the government support service to get help while you are shielding

Government advice is that people who  are categorised as extremely vulnerable should register with the government service to receive support to get essential supplies such as food and prescriptions. Once you have registered, your details will be sent to Camden and we will get in contact with you to find out what support you require while you are shielding eg. getting food or prescriptions.

If you have any questions about your support needs, please contact Adult Social Care

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)


The government has published guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do, which includes information on how you can protect yourself.

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good