Skip to main content
Text size:

Government advice for clinically extremely vulnerable people

We understand that for those who have care and support needs, or care for someone who does, this is a worrying and challenging time. As a Council we will do everything we can to support you through this period of uncertainty.

Please read the advice in this section.  After reading the information, if you still have concerns about your care, please contact Adult Social Care

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)


Some people are at greatest risk of severe illness from Covid-19 due to specific medical conditions. These people are clinically extremely vulnerable. If you are in this group you will have previously received a letter from the NHS or  your GP telling you this and may have been advised to shield in the past. Letters will be going out again to all those affected by the new shielding rules. 

If you are in this group you are now advised to stay at home at all times. This means: 

  • Work from home. If you cannot work from home, you should not attend work. 
  • Try to stay 2 metres away from other people within your household, especially if they have symptoms of the virus or have been advised to self isolate. 
  • If you look after a child whose GP has confirmed they are clinically extremely vulnerable, your child should follow shielding advice and should not attend school. 
  • You can go outside but much keep contact with others outside of your household to a minimum.
  • Stay at home as much as possible and do not travel unless essential. 
  • Do not go to the shops. Use online shopping if you can or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you (friends, family or NHS Volunteer Responders)
  • Do not go to a pharmacy. Ask friends, family or volunteers to collect medicines for you. The pharmacy might be able to deliver. If none of these options are viable, then you will be eligible for medicine delivery. Contact your pharmacy to arrange this, free of charge.
  • Do not meet with friends and family unless they are part of your support bubble.
  • You can still receive informal care at home from people in your support bubble. You can still receive care at home from social care and medical professionals. 

There are various options for accessing food and shopping, and you can also contact Camden Council’s Coronavirus Support Line on 020 7974 4444 (option 9) for help.

If you are concerned about your mental health and it is affecting your daily life please contact NHS 111 online or phone NHS 111 by dialing 111.

More information about protecting and shielding clinically extremely vulnerable people is available.  A large print version of the information is available.

2020 to 2021 Flu programme

Covid-19 vaccine 

The NHS has been advised to first offer the Covid-19 vaccines to people at highest risk of serious complications if they catch the infection. This includes older adults, care home residents and people who are clinically extremely vulnerable. Your GP will advise on whether you are eligible.

More information about the Covid-19 vaccination is available.

If you have any questions about your support needs, please contact Adult Social Care

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)


The government has published guidance on Coronavirus (Covid-19): what you need to do, which includes information on how you can protect yourself.


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good