Skip to main content
Text size:

Direct payments and Personal Assistants

If you currently receive a direct payment and employ your own personal assistant, a downloadable factsheet produced by Camden Council, updated on 10 September 2020, contains useful information about what to do during the coronavirus pandemic.  If you are new to direct payments and would like to find out more about it, visit the What is a direct payment? page.

People who employ their own PA may be especially worried about coronavirus and COVID-19. Support is available from Personalisation Support in Camden (PSIC) who are continuing to deliver their services.

Contact Personalisation Support in Camden (PSIC) for information and advice about using direct payments

Telephone: 020 7383 4901 (option 1)



You can also contact Adult Social Care Access and Response Team and they will respond as quickly as possible to enquiries

Telephone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1)


PAs who are not employed by an agency and PPE

General information is available on the Personal Protective Equipment page.

Camden Council have produced an information sheet about PPE for PAs who are not employed through an agency.

The cost of PPE is not included in any Direct Payment rates. Direct Payment funds are to be used to purchase PPE and excess funds on the account can be used for PPE purchase. If you have insufficient funds please contact Adult Social Care at to request a top-up payment. Receipts for PPE purchases must be kept.

If you find it difficult to obtain PPE you should contact Adult Social Care at

PAs employed via an agency and PPEIf a PA is employed via an agency it is the agency's responsibility for the providing PPE. The agency will be able to speak with their Camden commissioning contact about this. However any concerns remaining unresolved should be raised using this email address

Getting tested for coronavirus (COVID-19)Anyone, including children, with symptoms can get a coronavirus test.  The most common symptoms are a new continuous cough, a high temperature, and loss or change of your sense of smell or taste.  If you have any of these symptoms you would need to be tested within the first 5 days of having symptoms. 

Employers can refer essential workers, including Personal Assistants, for testing if they are self-isolating because they or their household member(s) have coronavirus symptoms.  Details about how employers can refer essential workers is available on the government's Coronavirus: getting tested webpage.

Further information

Skills for Care provide information and support for people who work in the adult social care sector. 


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good