Employing someone to help you

There are lots of options available if you, or someone you know, needs some help in the home. For example: You may have friends or relatives that can help you.


  • You could arrange to employ someone to support you directly, this is called a personal assistant (PA). You can find a personal assistant using the Camden PA register or use the search tool at the top of this page to find a personal assistant or home carer of your choice.

You may like to employ your own personal assistant to help you at home for things like getting up, getting dressed, getting out and about, and preparing meals.

You can pay for this yourself, or if you are eligible, have a Direct Payment from the Council. There are lots of things you must know about employing a personal assistant before you start. This information is in the Council's Guide to Direct Payments.

Employing a PA can help you live independently and in a way that you choose. It puts you in control of your support.

The benefits of employing a personal assistant include:

  • they work for you;
  • you decide what you want them to do;
  • you decide when you want them to work.
  • Age UK Camden can offer advice and support. You may already know someone who would be a good personal assistant or see if friends or relatives can recommend someone.
  • You could arrange to employ a care worker privately through a home care agency.
  • We may be able to offer you help but you will need to have an assessment. Once you have had your assessment we will tell you if you're eligible for assistance from us. We will then work with you to look at the best way of meeting your needs.

For more information, you can contact the adult social care Access and Response Team on 020 7974 4000 or email adultsocialcare@camden.gov.uk .