Dealing with a loss

Losing a loved one is distressing. However, it’s important to know about the necessary administrative duties. You need to register a death within five working days and inform other government services as well such as the Inland Revenue.

The Registrars service at Camden Council can help, their contact number is 020 7974 4444.

Coping with loss

Coping with a loss is difficult. We all grieve in different ways and talking to someone, whether they are a friend, family member or a counsellor, can help such as support networks, faith groups and the Samaritans.

There are groups you can turn to for support. Often, talking to someone who doesn't share the grief you feel seems easier, especially if they have had similar experiences. Your local faith group or church may also provide someone to listen.

Don't forget to go and see your doctor if you are feeling ill or the sadness continues or is hard to cope with. For free confidential bereavement counselling by trained volunteer counsellors, call the Camden City Islington and Westminster Bereavement Service on 020 7284 0090.

There may also be practical issues to deal with: there may be less money as a result of your bereavement. You may be living alone for the first time in many years, perhaps dealing with practical things you have never dealt with before.

You may be eligible for benefits that you weren't previously entitled to or you could be concerned about managing your money, there may be some legal matters you need to take care of or maybe you need some legal advice. Visit the relevant pages of the Money and Legal section of this website for further advice and information.

More information

Independent Age has produced a useful booklet called Coping with bereavement that you can download or order either online or by calling 0800 319 6789.

There are a number of organisations that provide bereavement support visit Find services.