Support for carers
Who is a Carer?
- A carer is a person of any age - adult or child - who provides unpaid support to a partner, child, relative or friend who couldn't manage to live independently or whose health or wellbeing would deteriorate without this help.
- Those receiving this care may need help due to a disability or a serious health condition, mental ill health or substance misuse.
What rights do Carers have?
- Carers have the right to a carers assessment.
- Following the assessment, if they have eligible needs the Council will have a duty to meet those needs that have been identified.
To find out more visit the carers assessments section of the website.
Local Support and Services
Camden Carers Service
Camden Carers Service is a partnership of 2 local organisations, Camden Carers Service and Centre 404. The service provides information, advice, activities and support for all carers over the age of 18 years. They support carers from all communities. Carers under the age of 18 are supported by Young carer services.
Camden Carers Service offer a range of services including:
- Advice and information
- Specialist support services for Mental Health, Learning Disability, Dementia, stroke and Young Adult Carer (carers aged 18-25)
- Carer health checks and activities
- Carer wellbeing activities; walking groups, yoga, home-based personal training, healthy cook and eat sessions, nutritional advice
- Counselling and bereavement support
- Carer emergency breaks
- Dementia day activities for carer and cared for e.g. guided walks, Remember together sessions
- Carer support at discharge in UCH and Royal Free Hospitals
- Supporting the carer led forum, Camden Carers Voice.
Camden Carers Service
- Provides help, support and assistance for young carers aged 18-25 years.
- To find out more you can visit their website or call them on 020 7428 8950.
- Centre 404 provide many opportunities for carers of people with learning disabilities to receive advice and support, have their say and meet other people.
Caring for Carers in Camden
- Caring for Carers is an online information hub for carers in Camden including local services and activities for carers
- Visit Carers UK for information and advice for carers.
- Visit Carers Direct for information, advice and support for carers on how to cope in a crisis, advice to stay healthy or to find local services, or call 0300 123 1053.
- Carers Trust provides information about support services for carers.