Assessment of your care and support needs

If you are aged 18 or over or have a disability, you are entitled to a free assessment of your needs by Camden Council regardless of your financial circumstances. This is called a care assessment.

The care assessment will help the Council establish the care and support needs you may have and better identify what support is required to meet your needs.

What is an assessment?

  • An assessment is a discussion between you (or the person you look after if you are a carer) and a trained person, where you will talk about the care and support needs you have and the goals you want to achieve.
  • The aim of an assessment is to identify what needs you may have and what outcomes you are looking to achieve to maintain or improve your wellbeing.
  • The outcome of the assessment is to provide a full picture of your needs so the right help and support can be provided to help you meet those needs.

How and where does the assessment take place?

  • The assessment will take place in your own home and you can have a friend, relative or carer with you.
  • If you are in hospital, we'll come and talk to you before you are discharged to see about any help you might need in the home whilst you are recovering.
  • Depending on your preference, assessments can also be done in different ways including online or by having a supported self-assessment.

Will I be able to get help?

  • After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to your situation.
  • When your assessment is complete the council will decide if your care and support needs are eligible for help from the council using the national eligibility criteria. The process after the assessment is called care and support planning. There may also be reviews of this support plan at a planned date, if your circumstances change or if you request a review.
  • If you are not eligible for help, we will still give you information and advice on other services that are available to help you to continue to meet the goals you want to achieve.

Will I have to pay?

  • There is no charge for the assessment.
  • Once we are clear about your needs, we will work out your personal budget. This is the amount of money we think will cover the cost of your care.
  • Depending on your financial circumstances, you may be asked to contribute to this. You can find out about charges for residential care or non-residential care services here.
  • We will give you as much choice and control as possible over how your personal budget is spent. This means you can choose the services that best meet your needs.

How do I find out more?

  • If you think you may need help and would like to find out about your options, you can use the online self-assessment form to find out about help and support that is available.
  • Or, you can contact the Adult social care Access and Response Team by calling 020 7974 4000 (option 1).
  • If you are in hospital you can ask to speak to someone from the hospital Social Work Team.