Sheltered & retirement housing
There are a number of sheltered and supported housing schemes in Camden. The aim of Sheltered Housing is to support older people to remain living independently in the community and to maintain a tenancy of their own.
Sheltered housing accommodation is a self-contained property with one or two bedrooms and a lounge, or a bed-sitting room, kitchen and bathroom facilities.
- Most properties have a scheme manager to ensure the smooth running of the building and support the residents where possible.
- For added peace of mind, there is a 24 hour alarm service, run by Careline Telecare that enables residents to summon help in an emergency.
- You can rent a sheltered housing flat either from the Council or from a local registered social landlord, also known as a housing association.
Support you can expect from a scheme manager:
The scheme manager's job is wide-ranging and aims to ensure you stay independent and have a good quality of life. The scheme manager will:
- Provide support from Monday to Friday.
- Assess your needs and agree a support plan with you. Review the support plan regularly.
- Help in emergencies, for example if you have a fall or are ill.
- Assist with hospital or medical appointments.
- Help with reporting repairs needed in your home.
- Assist with correspondence, such as form filling if needed.
- Organise and promote social activities and contact any day services you may want to use.
- If you need support that the scheme manager cannot provide he or she will help you to find services that provide it.
Who can apply?
Sheltered housing service is available to people who:
- Are eligible to join our housing register
- Have a housing need.
- Have care and support needs that cannot be met in your current home.
- Are aged 55 or over
Note: Applicants must meet all the criteria in order to be eligible for sheltered housing.
How do I apply for sheltered housing?
- If you meet the criteria and would like to be considered for one of Camden's sheltered housing schemes, please click here to go to the make an application for social housing page. (When completing the form, make sure you tick the 'sheltered housing' option)
- If you are having difficulties using the form, or do not have access to a computer, please contact the Housing Options team by calling 020 7974 4444 or by submitting an online enquiry.
- If you are unsure whether you meet the criteria for sheltered housing or have a question about the application process, please email the Sheltered Housing team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or, you can call Contact Camden on 020 7974 4444.