There are a number of sheltered and supported housing schemes in Camden. The aim of Sheltered Housing is to support older people to remain living independently in the community and to maintain a tenancy of their own.
What is Sheltered Housing?
- Sheltered housing accommodation is a self-contained property
with one or two bedrooms and a lounge, or a bed-sitting room,
kitchen and bathroom facilities.
- Most properties have a scheme manager to ensure the smooth
running of the building and support the residents where
- For added peace of mind, there is a 24 hour alarm service, run
Telecare that enables residents to summon help in an
- You can rent a sheltered housing flat either from the Council
or from a local registered social landlord, also known as a housing
Support you can expect from a scheme
The scheme manager's job is wide-ranging and aims to ensure you
stay independent and have a good quality of life. The scheme
- Provide support from Monday to Friday.
- Assess your needs and agree a support plan with you. Review the
support plan regularly.
- Help in emergencies, for example if you have a fall or are
- Assist with hospital or medical appointments.
- Help with reporting repairs needed in your home.
- Assist with correspondence, such as form filling if
- Organise and promote social activities and contact any day
services you may want to use.
- If you need support that the scheme manager cannot provide he
or she will help you to find services that provide it.
Who can apply?
Sheltered housing service is available to people who:
- Have care and support needs that cannot be met in your current
Note: Applicants must meet all the criteria in
order to be eligible for sheltered housing.
How do I apply for sheltered housing?
- If you meet the criteria and would like to be considered for
one of Camden's sheltered housing schemes, please visit camden.gov.uk/housing.
- Click on 'housing options' and fill in the self assessment
form. Make sure you tick the 'sheltered housing' option.
- If you are unsure whether you meet the criteria for sheltered
housing or have a question about the application process, please
email the Sheltered Housing team at email@example.com
- Or, you can call Contact Camden on 020 7974 4444
Sheltered housing provides a supportive environment for older, vulnerable, and disabled people in Camden. You can stay independent whilst benefiting from support and security.