There are a number of sheltered and supported housing schemes in Camden. These are ideal for older people who wish to live independently, in comfort and security with the opportunity to socialise and get involved with leisure activities when they choose.
The accommodation is self-contained with one
or two bedrooms and a lounge, or a bed-sitting room, kitchen and
Most properties have a scheme manager to
ensure the smooth running of the building and support the residents
where possible. For added peace of mind, there is a 24 hour alarm
service, run by Careline Telecare, that enables residents to summon
help in an emergency.
You can rent a sheltered housing flat either from the Council or
from a local registered social landlord, also known as a housing
Support you can expect from a scheme manager:
The scheme manager's job is wide-ranging and aims to ensure you
stay independent and have a good quality of life.
The scheme manager will:
- Provide support during the day
- Assess your needs and agree a support plan with you
- Review the support plan with you regularly. You, your family,
or your carer can ask for a review at any time
- Make sure you are happy and well
- Help in emergencies, for example if you have a fall or are
- Help with reporting repairs needed to your home
- Organise and promote social activities and contact any day
services you may want to use
- If you need support that the scheme manager cannot provide he
or she will help you to find services that provide it.
Who can apply?
Sheltered housing is available to people who:
- are eligible to join our housing
- have a housing need
- have care and support needs that cannot be met in your current
- are aged 55 or over
Applicants must meet all the criteria in order to become
eligible for sheltered housing.
How do I apply for sheltered housing?
If you meet the criteria and would like to be
considered for one of Camden's sheltered housing schemes, please
visit camden.gov.uk/housing. Click on 'housing
options' and fill in the self assessment form. Make sure you tick
the 'sheltered housing' option.
If you are having difficulties using the
form, or do not have access to a computer, please contact the housing
options team for help.
If you are unsure whether you meet the
criteria for sheltered housing or have a question about the
application process, please contact
the sheltered housing team.